GSJBW merchant banking head retires

Clark Perkins was at the Melbourne-headquartered firm for 14 years and was actively involved in its private equity activities from 2005.

Clark Perkins, head of merchant banking at financial services firm Goldman Sachs JBWere (GSJBW), has retired after 14 years at the firm. No replacement has been named.

Mark Wilson, the head of GSJBW Private Equity, who previously reported to Perkins, will now report to Stephen Fitzgerald, co-chief executive office and a managing director at the firm, according to a GSJBW spokeswoman.

Perkins spearheaded GSJBW’s merchant banking arm, which includes its private equity business, from 2005 when he was based in Sydney. He led deals such as the 2006 buyout of adventure equipment maker Kathmandu Group by GSJBW Private Equity and Australasian private equity firm Quadrant Private Equity. Perkins remains chairman of the Kathmandu Group after his retirement, the spokeswoman said.  

Perkins joined the New Zealand operations of Australian financial services group JBWere in 1996. In 1997, he became its managing director and chief executive in New Zealand. In 1998, he was promoted to managing director of merchant banking across Australia and New Zealand. 

In 2003, JBWere merged with Goldman Sachs. The bank holds a 45 percent stake in GSJBW, while the remaining 55 percent stake is held by the group’s management and staff.

GSJBW Private Equity is currently investing out of its third fund, Goldman Sachs JBWere Trans-Tasman Private Equity Fund 07, which closed on A$415 million ($312 million; €235 million) in 2007.

The firm specialises in leveraged buyouts, management buyouts and buy-ins, and also provides expansion and development capital. It has offices in Australia, New Zealand, Europe and the US.